Sending money to Africa is increasingly becoming easier, cheaper and faster because of advances in technology. We’ve selected 5 services that help you to transfer money to Zambia from European countries, the United States, Australia as well as many other countries. You can use some of these services as well to top up airtime for prepaid mobile phone plans.
Fastest and cheapest options
- There are many options available to send money to Zambia. Choose a method that is cheaper to you and the recipient, one that is faster, and one that is efficient.
- Of all the methods, we recommend using Transferwise, World Remit, or wire transfer. However, you should also ask the Zambian recipient on the method they mostly prefer.
|Send money to Zambia from Europe via app & website, First transfer is free and next transfer fee as low as £1, instant airtime top up||No cash payment, Receiver must have a bank account, No transfer to mobile money, No transfers from the US|
|Send money to Zambia from 145 countries, Nine payment methods, Free transer for your first transaction if you use the promotion code, Multiple receiving methods: bank accounts for all banks in Zambia, mobile money, cash pickup, instant airtime top up||Maximum per transfer is USD 1000, mobile money only works with MTN|
|No transfer fees||No bank transfers, Money can only be sent to people with mobile money accounts with MTN|
|Multiple payment methods including Whatsapp||No bank transfers or mobile money, Payment only received in cash where there are Mukuru agents|
|Payment via Hello Paisa Android or iOS app, 5 South African rand per 100 South African rand||You can only send money from South Africa, No bank transfers or mobile money, Cash can only be collected at UAE Exchange stores|
With its headquarters in London and regional hubs in Poland, the Philippines, and the United States, you can send money through World Remit to Zambia.
Sending money to Zambia is possible from more than 145 countries around the world such as the UK, the US, Australia, and Canada, The maximum amount per transfer is USD 1,000.
World Remit Transaction details
1. Card (debit, credit and prepaid)
2. Bank Account Transfer
7. Google Pay
8. Apple Pay
For mobile money, you can only send money to MTN Mobile Money subscribers’ accounts in Zambia. Mobile money can be spent in stores, transferred or turned into cash by local agents located all over the country. MTN is one of the three mobile phone operators in Zambia. Instant mobile airtime can only be sent to sim cards registered on Zamtel and MTN mobile networks. The airtime, however, cannot be converted into cash.
World Remit electronic bank transfers can be received by account holders of all banks in Zambia. The funds will usually be available within one working day.
2. Driving licence or
3. National ID
Further verification documents may be needed.
Coupon code World Remit
Launched in January 2012 and registered in the UK, Azimo allows people to send money to Zambia from 25 countries including the the UK, the Eurozone, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland and Poland. At the moment, the service is not available for US senders.
Payments can be done via online bank transfer or on their website or using their Android app or iOS app with debit/credit card payments. Accepted cards are Master Card, Maestro and Visa. You can pay via SEPA bank transfers.
- Azimio does not accept cash as a payment method.
- Transferring via bank transfer may take up to 24 hours.
- On top of sending money using Azimo platform, you can also send instant mobile top up to a mobile phone user in Zambia to be used for talk time or data bundles.
Azimo transaction details
1. The amount of money you want to send and which currency you would like to send it as
2. How the money will be transferred and received (in Zambia the only option for receiving money is bank transfer or mobile top up.
3. Where the money is going
4. Details of your recipient, such as their name, address and bank account information
5. How you’ll pay for the transfer (debit/credit card or electronic bank transfer)
When you’ve send the money, the sender can track the transaction progress on Azimo dashboard.
2. National ID
3. Driver’s licence
Taptap Send is a UK registered money transfer service, which has partnered with mobile money service providers in select African countries, including Zambia.
TapTap transaction details
2. Android or iOS app.
How then does the company make money? Taptap Send negotiates the best deals for its customers by pooling together transfers from all customers everyday.
We keep part of the gain to pay our own bills and pass the rest of the gain on to you. Our aim is to offer you an exchange rate that is as close as possible to the real exchange rate that you can find on Google or Bloomberg – much better than most other remittance providers.
Established in 2006, Mukuru is a digital international money transfer service based in the UK.
2. Mukuru App
3. Payment on the Mukuru mobile site.
4. WhatsApp: The company uses Business WhatsApp API to allow customers to send money using WhatsApp.
2. National ID
3. Driver’s licence
4. You can choose to sign up online or physically by visiting a branch near you.
Hello Paisa became the first company to be authorised as an independent money transfer operator in South Africa after it started in March 2015. The company, started by two brothers Nadir and Shaazim Khamissa, offers services to send money to Zambia from South Africa.
Hello Paisa transaction details
1. Paying at Hello Paisa agents in South Africa
2. Depositing in Hello Paisa accounts in Ned Bank, Standard Bank and FNB Bank in South Africa.
3. Pay through Hello Paisa Android or iOS app
4. Signed up by Hello Paisa agent or at Hello Store.
1. A valid South African ID
2. Foreign passport with a permit (work permit, student visa or residency permit)
3. Asylum permit
4. Proof of address. If proof of address is not available, you will need an Affidavit or employee site verification by Hello Paisa employee.
With these five services, you will be able to conveniently send money to family members or friends for school fees, medical care, food or to support projects and businesses in Zambia.