The growth of Bitcoin in Ghana got noticed worldwide in 2019 when Jack Dorsey, co-Founder and CEO of Twitter, attended a Bitcoin meetup in Ghana to discuss the adoption of Bitcoin payments in Ghana and Nigeria. As Bitcoin and other cryptos continue to gain popularity in the country, we would like to show you how to buy Bitcoin in Ghana safely.
Quick facts about cryptocurrency
- Cryptocurrency is a digital currency that can be used for buying goods and services as well as crypto investment.
- There are many cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin and shitcoins. The most popular crypto is Bitcoin, which is the one we recommend. Bitcoin is the original and the leading digital currency. It was created in January 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto. The true identity of Satoshi Nakamoto is not known.
- As of January 31, 2022, 1 bitcoin equals 237,307.23 GHS. While the cedis can be subdivided into 100 cents, the smallest unit of Bitcoin, called Satoshi, is one hundred millionth of a single Bitcoin (0.00000001 BTC).
Cryptocurrency scams are on the rise all over the world including Ghana. Don’t entertain social media messages or emails asking you to “join Bitcoin” and get rich instantly. Beware of individuals or companies that promise huge returns on crypto investment. Learn more about cryptocurrency scams and how to avoid them.
What You Need Before You Buy Cryptocurrency in Ghana
Before you can buy crypto in Ghana, you need the following.
- A cryptocurrency exchange in Ghana. A crypto exchange is a platform that allows its users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. It is a cryptocurrency marketplace (or a cryptocurrency “shop”). A cryptocurrency exchange can be a local one or a global one with multi-currency support.
- Payment method. Your payment method will depend on the cryptocurrency exchange’s supported payment method. It can be mobile money such as MoMo, debit card, credit card, bank transfer, money transfer services such as Western Union, Wise (formerly TransferWise), etc.
- Crypto wallet. Cryptocurrencies are not physical currencies. Therefore, you need a secure cryptocurrency wallet in Ghana to store your cryptos. Bitcoin wallets in Ghana are of different types: mobile, web, desktop and hardware. Best Bitcoin wallets in Ghana include software cryptocurrency wallets such as Samourai or a hardware wallet such as Trezor and Ledger. All these are best cryptocurrency wallets for South Africa.
Your Bitcoin wallet is protected by “private keys” (a form of password). You are advised to store your cryptocurrency in a wallet that you have the private keys for (non custodial wallet). Cryptocurrency exchanges, such as the ones listed below, may have their own wallet where you can store your bitcoin but you don’t have the full control. And as it is said in the crypto community, “Not your keys, not your coins.” You should always buy hardware wallets directly from the original manufacturer or official resellers. Other private sellers online might have manipulated the wallet before selling it in order to steal your cryptos.
Is Cryptocurrency Legal in Ghana? Is Bitcoin Legal in Ghana?
Many people who are interested in cryptocurrency in Ghana would like to know if crypto is legal in Ghana. Cryptocurrency is neither legal or illegal in Ghana. The Bank of Ghana has issued warnings against crypto trading because crypto assets are not regulated. However, since cryptocurrency is a decentralised digital currency, it does not require a central authority such as a central bank to buy, sell or hold.
Things to Consider Before Buying Bitcoin in Ghana
When you want to buy cryptocurrency in Ghana, you need to take into consideration several key factors. When choosing a cryptocurrency exchange in Ghana, make sure you conduct necessary due diligence to find out, for instance, its reputation in the Bitcoin industry, how long it has been in the market, the team behind it, its insurance status, etc.
Another key piece of information you need to find out from the exchange is their fees. Review their trading fees, withdrawal fees, deposit fees etc. In addition, know the transaction limit. Transaction limits vary between exchanges.
If you decide to use peer-to-peer market place to buy your Bitcoin in Ghana, you need to be extra careful because with this option you will be conducting your transaction with a stranger. Find out if the person has verified details, the level of trusts he commands on the platform, if he has been blocked by users, etc. If you have to meet physically, choose a public place and ask a friend or a relative to go with you.
When choosing a crypto wallet, you need to consider features such as security, access to private keys, mobile app integration, anonymity features (if you want to transact anonymously) and the exchanges where the wallet can be used on. Your exchange of choice may also recommended wallets to use.
Exchanges offer different payment methods. Choose an exchange that offers a payment method that is convenient and available to you . Note that the method you choose will determine the time it will take for your transaction to be completed.
Bitcoin prices vary worldwide. You need to compare rates from major Bitcoin exchanges with the exchange you have choosen. You can use CoinDesk to make the comparison.
We have selected best cryptocurrency exchanges in Ghana where you can buy Bitcoin.
Yellow Card Ghana
Yellow Card is a cryptocurrency startup that you can use to buy Bitcoin safely in Ghana. It is the best platform if you are not an experienced bitcoin buyer. You can buy Bitcoin using a number of payment methods such as bank transfer and mobile money. Buying cryptourreny in Ghana using MoMo is one of the most popular methods on the platform.
How to Buy Bitcoin in Ghana with Mobile Money
To buy Bitcoin Ghana with mobile money via Yellow Card, follow these steps.
- Login to your Yellow Card account
- Tap Deposit on your dashboard
- Select MoMo and choose your preferred network provider
- Input your MoMo number and the amount to be deposited
- Confirm details
- Input your MoMo PIN
LocalBitcoins is a Bitcoin company based in Helsinki, Finland. It was founded in 2012. It facilitates peer to peer Bitcoin exchanges in Ghana. It has a reputation and feedback mechanism for users and an escrow and conflict-resolution service. With LocalBitcoins Ghana, you can buy Bitcoin in Ghana with mobile money (MoMo, Airtel Tigo, etc), bank transfer (EcoBank, GT Bank, etc), Dash App, credit/debit card, Eversend, Chipper Cash, etc.
Binance is a cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to buy crypto in Ghana with the lowest possible fees and highest security standards. You can buy cryptos on the platform by visiting Binance website or downloading the Binance Desktop Client, or using Binance App for iOS or Android. You need to complete level 2 identity verification (Know Your Customer – KYC), which will increase account security and increase your daily withdrawal limits. Then add at least one payment method. Binance P2P now supports over 60 payment methods, including Mobile Money such as Airtel Tigo.
Send, Deposit, Exchange, and Buy Bitcoin with Telegram Online in Ghana
- It is now possible to buy cryptocurrency in Ghana, receive, exchange and send to other wallets for free using the instant messaging app, Telegram. At the moment, you can only buy with a bank card.
- To use the feature, open the Telegram messenger and search for “wallet”. Open the Telegram’s official wallet bot, click “/start” and select the options showing depending on whether you want to buy, send, receive or deposit cryptocurrency. You should also add it to the menu (for easy access).
PayPlux is one of the oldest bitcoin exchanges in Ghana. It was established in order to make digital currency accessible in Africa. PayPlux allows users in Ghana and beyond to buy Bitcoin using mobile money (Airtel Tigo, MoMo, and Vodafone Cash) and direct bank deposit. The platform only supports Bitcoin and Perfect Money.
Coindirect is a cryptocurrency exchange that caters for businesses and private clients. This means their fees are a little bit higher than most cryptocurrency exchanges in Ghana. The platform supports Bitcoin and over 40 different altcoins including Ethereum, Digibyte, NEO and Ripple.
Coindirect Over the Counter (OTC) feature facilitates a more personalised trading for institutions and high net worth individuals. The feature allows for large order volumes and rapid xecution and settlement services. If you intend to buy large amount of Bitcoin, Coindirect offers secure crypto custody solution.
In addition, for merchants looking for payment gateway in Ghana, Coindirect allows your business to accept cryptocurrency transactions as payment from clients for goods and services.
Apart from being able to buy as well as trade Bitcoin for profit on Remitano, you can also earn benefits by becoming a paid Ambassador for Remitano, joining Remitano distributor program and earn when you invite friends and affiliating with Remitano for a 40% lifetime commission.
Paxful is one of the best exchanges to sell and buy cryptocurrencies in Ghana with many payment options including Chipper Cash, bank transfers, gift cards, Paypal, debit/credit cards, etc. You can also buy bitcoin with mobile money in Ghana with Paxful.
Often our biggest problems revolve around money, earning it and transporting it. We are dedicated to unlocking the power of people by building a global peer to peer payment logistics platform of the future. Paxful is PayPal + Uber and the people’s Wall Street.
Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges in the world based in the United States. It is a digital currency wallet and platform where merchants and consumers in Ghana can transact with digital currencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. Supported payment methods include bank transfer, debit card and credit card.
We do not advise you to use Coinbase because of many issues such as transparency, privacy, and security. In addition, Coinbase is known for pushing and listing high-risk shitcoins.
Final Thoughts on Cryptocurrency in Ghana
Buying in Ghana should not be a complex task. With these crypto exchanges for Ghana, you now know where to buy Bitcoin in Ghana safely and securely. It is also interesting to know that with the growth of mobile money usage in the country, you can buy and sell Bitcoin in Ghana with mobile money.
As cryptocurrencies grow in popularity in Ghana and elsewhere, take your time to learn more about crypto investments and do a bit of research on the platforms we have listed here. You should look for the platform’s fees, payment methods, available cryptos, KYC requirements, etc.