An electronic, web based or mobile payment solution is a critical part in businesses in South Africa such as ecommerce platforms in South Africa, utility companies, hotels, car hire, travel agents, insurance companies, etc. Online payment solutions in South Africa, mobile payment solutions in South Africa as well as offline solutions act as mediators between merchants, buyers, the card networks, and the banks. Finding the right payment solution in South Africa for your business will improve your customer’s transaction journey and increase your business’s competitive edge. The following are some of the best payment solutions in South Africa.
Bitcoin is becoming one of payment options for many businesses around the world. If you want to attract a new type of clients into your business by accepting cryptocurrency payments, read our review of best cryptocurrency payment gateways.
Payment Platforms in South Africa
Yoco provides a number payment solutions that make it simple to process eCommerce sales.
Yoco payment solutions include the following:
- The Yoco Payment Gateway. The gateway lets you accept card payments from your website or online store and its set up process is easy. The gateway comes with no upfront costs. You can integrate the gateway with WordPress, WooCommerce, Wix, and Shopstar.
- The Yoco App. You can use the App to run and manage transactions from your tablet or phone.
- Yoco link. If you do not have a website or a card machine, you can accept card payments through WhatsApp, SMS, on your invoices, email, or social media using the Yoco link.
- The Yoco Business Portal. This is where you manage your business. Here, you will be able to see your business performance, manage staff access and cash flow, and collect data from multiple stores.
- Yoco Vouchers. When you give out vouchers, you give your loyal customers the chance to support your business.
Yoco sign up is free. The price for Yoco machine starts at R299 once-off. You will be required to pay a percentage of between 2.6% and 2.95% exclusive VAT for every card payment you accept. For Yoco online payments, you will be required to pay between 2.6% and 2.95% exclusive of VAT. International sales attract transaction fee of between 3.05% and 3.45% exclusive of VAT.
MFS Africa is probably Africa’s largest digital payments gateway. The MFS Hub is connected to mobile wallets and bank accounts in South Africa. It offers cross-border, cross-currency, and cross-network digital payments.
MFS Africa Solutions
Some of its solutions are:
- Microloans. If you are a micro loan provider in South Africa, you can use MFS Africa to collect loan repayments from your local and international clients.
- Insurance Services. Insurance companies in South Africa can use the MFA Africa’s API to collect premiums and pay claims using mobile money, bank transfers, or cash pick-up.
- Utility Providers. Utility providers can use MFS Africa API to collect utility payments from customers via a website, an app, or USSD menu.
- Online merchants. South Africans engaged in ecommerce can collect funds from shoppers and subscribers.
MFS Africa Fees in South Africa
MFS Africa fees are not publicly available on its website. If you want to use any of MFS Africa solutions, please contact them directly at email@example.com.
Flutterwave is one of the best payment gateways in South Africa. Flutterwave enables you to process credit cards, debit cards and local payments solutions such as mobile money.
Its products include the following:
- Flutterwave Checkout. Collect payments from your customers anywhere in the world on web and mobile.
- Flutterwave Store. Start selling your products online with Flutterwave store.
- Flutterwave Donation. Flutterwave allows NGOs and charities to create a button for accepting donations on their websites.
- Flutterwave Payment Links. Receive payments without a website or Flutterwave integration by creating payment links and send to your customers.
- Flutterwave Rave. Rave is a service by Flutterwave that allows businesses to accept global payments.
Flutterwave Fees in South Africa
Flutterwave sign up is free. Flutterwave fees are based on the product and country. You will be charged per transaction. For example, Flutterwave pricing in Nigeria is as follows:
- 1.4% processing fee for local transaction
- 3.8% processing fee for international transactions
Find out Flutterwave transaction fee for your country.
PayFast is a payment app in South Africa that allows online businesses to accept instant payments from anywhere in the world. PayFast processes instant EFT, MasterCard and Visa credit cards, Ukash, and Bitcoin. With PayFast, you do not need an internet merchant account to start accepting payments.
- Ecommerce. Whether you use an existing shopping cart system or have a custom built website, PayFast offers full integration flexibility. It partners with leading eCommerce platforms such as Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, and WHMCS so that merchants can easily integrate PayFast.
- Ticketing. It is a secure payment gateway integration for your ticketing platform or want to sell event tickets directly through your website.
- Donations. PayFast helps you to spread awareness about your cause and enable you to receive online donations instantly and securely via one of 8 supported payment methods.
PayFast has no sign up or monthly fees. You only pay per transaction, meaning if you don’t receive a payment, you don’t owe anything. If you receive payment by debit card or credit card, you will be charged 3.5% plus R 2.00. In addition, each time you request money to be sent from your PayFast account to your bank account, you will be charged a payout fee of R8.70 excluding VAT. Refunds are charged at R2.00 excluding VAT per refund. Here’s the full breakdown of PayFast fees.
PayGenius is a payment solutions provider in South Africa that allows merchants to receive payments online, on mobile, via Point of Sales, or via MPOS through its integration with iKhoka. It supports several payment methods including credit cards, standard EFT, and instant EFT. For safety, all PayGenius payment services are encrypted via an SSL certificate provided by Thawte.
PayGenius offers the following solutions:
- The PayGenius Payment Gateway. PayGenius provides integrated and hosted payment gateways. Its plugins integrate with major eCommerce platforms such as Magento, WooCommerce, and Shopify. You can accept credit card online payments from all over the world.
- The PayGenius App. PayGenius offers a QR code payment app available on a white-label basis. To make a payment, you scan the QR code, choose a payment method, and pay even without sharing your banking information. The App also allows you to purchase prepaid airtime, electricity, and pay bills any time.
- PayGenius PoS Machine. Customers can also pay at retail locations using debit or credit cards.
- Payment Page. The PayGenius payment page allows you to send payment links to your customers to request payments and it supports multiple payment methods.
- Email Pay. The functionality allows merchants to send payment requests directly from the PayGenius platform. They can also track the status of their payments.
The platform has no fixed costs, set up fees or monthly fees. Moreover, there is no minimum period of commitment. You only pay 3.2% per ZAR transaction.
PayGate is a leading payment solution that operates under the DPO Group in South Africa. PayGate enables individuals and businesses to accept online payments in all currencies via all major cards (Visa, American Express, MasterCard, etc.), e-wallets and mobile money.
PayGate offers the following:
- The PayGate Payment Gateway. It integrates with several shopping carts such as WordPress, Shopify, OSCommerce, WooCommerce, Magento, Gravity Forms, Ecwid, PrestaShop, Opencart, and nopCommerce.
- The Zapper App. You can use the Zapper app on your smartphone to scan the QR code on your bill to pay for bills instantly. The App includes a dashboard that allows you to select services, monitor activities, and reconcile payments. Zapper also allows you to split bills.
Paygate sign up is free and there’s no monthly fees. Base fee for PayGate Switch starts at 0.25% of successful transaction and PayGate Plus is 3.5% of all successful transactions.
Paystack is a Ngerian payment service provider that recently launched in South Africa. The platform helps tech startups, agencies, eCommerce stores, and creators get paid online.
It offers the following solutions:
- Plugins. Paystack has a lineup of plugins that integrate with eCommerce platforms such as Magento, Shopify, WordPress, Wix, WooCommerce, and more.
- Automated Recurring Billing. This feature helps merchants receive recurring payments from clients.
- Paystack Dashboard. You can monitor your business activities including sales to know how you are progressing
- Paystack Payment Pages. They allow you to collect one-time payments, send payment requests, or send invoices to customers. You can also offer subscription plans to customers.
Paystack Fees in South Africa
Paystack does not charge setup, monthly or payout fees. It charges 2.9% (of the total purchase amount) plus ZAR1 (VAT inclusive) for both local and international transactions.
Peach Payments provides payment solutions to online and mobile businesses enabling them to accept payments across all channels including their website, mobile apps, and mobile website.
Peach Payments Solutions
Peach Payments provides several solutions for online businesses including the following;
- The Peach Payments Gateway. It is a trusted gateway that integrates with major ecommerce platforms such as PrestaShop, Magento, WooCommerce, Wix, and Shopify.
- Paysafe Payment Links. Peach users without websites can use the Paysafe platform to send email or SMS payment links to customers to request payment.
- The Peach Payment Vault. The vault stores customer data to implement both recurring and one-click payments.
Peach Payments Fees
It is free to set up an account with Peach Payments. For Growth plan for small businesses, the fee is 2.95% + R1.50 per transaction (ex VAT). For businesses that transact over R300,000 per month, you need to contact the platform for customised volume-based rates.
Does OPay work in South Africa? Yes, OPay works in South Africa. It is a payment solution that enables you to accept payments from your customers online or in-store.
PayU is a payment processing platform that enables seamless payments across 50+ high-growth markets. PayU offers local payment processing across these markets through connections to the acquiring banks and other accepted payment methods.
Its processor solutions include:
- The PayU Virtual Terminal. You can use the virtual terminal to process invoice payments through the Checkfront Booking Manager.
- PayU Merchant Portal. It provides a complete view of transactions and their status.
- One Click Payments. Customers securely pay with a single click using PayU’s secure PCI-DSS level 1 certified card tokenization services. This means that customers enter their card details once (first transaction). On the second transaction, a customer’s stored card will be displayed automatically (no 3D Secure and CVV are needed).
- Mobicred Credit Facility. PayU has partnered with Mobicred to enable your eCommerce clients to purchase products and services on credit.
PayU Fees in South Afirca
PayU does not publicly disclose its fees. The platform asks potential customers who want to know its pricing structure to send an email using the contact form on the website, the sales department will reply as soon as possible.
PayPal is an international payment solution brand that operates in more than 200 countries around the world including South Africa. PayPal Business account allows your businesses to accept credit, debit, and PayPal payments online, in-store. As a payment aggregator, PayPal does not require your business to set up a merchant account.
- PayPal Zettle. It is an all-in-one POS system for small businesses of all sizes to accept payments whether in-store or online. It allows you to take payments, track sales, and manage your business in a single app.
- Multicurrency. It supports over 20 currencies, allowing you to receive payments from all around the world.
- Integrations. It integrates with many ecommerce platforms such as WooCommerce, 3dcart, BigCommerce and Shopify , POS systems and accounting software such as QuickBooks and Xero.
- PayPal Commerce platform. If you own an online marketplace, you can use the platform to allow your users/sellers to accept payments from buyers around the world.
PayPal Fees in South Africa
To set up PayPal business account is completely free and there wont be any monthly fees. You will have to pay from 2.4% to 3.4% plus $0.3 per transaction. For all the fees associated with PayPal solutions in South Africa, please request for them from PayPal.
Final Thoughts on Payment Platforms in South Africa
There are many payment service providers in South Africa offering solutions to receive payments online or on mobile devices. However, its best you take time to research and find the best solution for your business. If you intend to accept Bitcoin as one of payment methods, you can explore these cryptocurrency payment gateways. Factors to look out for include security, customer experience, international acceptance, fees, and other features depending on your business.