Low Income Housing is an initiative developed for families with low incomes. Housing has been recognized as a basic human right in some countries. Through collaboration between the government and various private sector initiatives, many people have managed to obtain housing. Abandoned land is being reclaimed for the establishment of houses. In major cities, marginal and unused resources are being utilized to establish shelters for low-income families.
In many countries, faith-based and communities have been at the forefront of providing housing. However, in the recent past, the government is taking part in the provision of housing to the homeless. Besides, non-profit making organizations have also taken up in the role. This has led to various models of residents’ controlled housing.
- 1 Types of Low Income Housing
- 2 How to Get Help in Paying Rent
Types of Low Income Housing
Government-subsidized housing is of the following types;
- Public housing provides affordable houses to households with low incomes, older people and those living with disabilities. You can contact the housing agency for any inquiries.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program is a rental program in which one is supposed to find a rental property and use the voucher provided to pay for it. To inquire, you need to contact any housing agency within your state.
- Privately owned subsidized housing is financed by governments who pay the landlords to accommodate low-income households.
- Housing choice voucher program. It was formerly known as section 8 programs. It gives vouchers to low-income households to make it up for the difference between rental of an area and what the families can raise.
Some of the qualifications of the program include annual gross income, USS citizenship or eligibility for immigration status and household size.
How to Get Help in Paying Rent
To get assistance in paying your rent, you will need to contact the housing finance agency in your state. Make sure that you meet the qualifications. In case you do not meet the qualifications, you can enquire and probably you can get referrals to community or non-profit making organizations.
How to Apply for Low Income Housing
Step 1: Check Your Eligibility
There are some states with specific requirements. But generally, the eligibility criterion is established by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
You need to contact those who are mandated to manage the houses in your area. In some areas, you can apply online. It is essential to keep checking online for the requirements.
Step 3: Make a Written Application
You need to provide information about all the members of your household. They may also require you to estimate the income of your family and also provide details about your employment. You can mail the application or submit it in person, although it depends on the area.
Step 4: Provide the Necessary Documents >
After filing the initial application, the responsible authorities will contact you and inform you of the documents needed. Documents may vary depending on the area and circumstance. Some of the documents that you need to submit include the following:
- Birth certificates
- Tax returns
- Marriage certificates or divorce decrees
- Bank statements Proof of citizenship
- Verification from your employer
Once the authorities have reviewed the application and all the documents, they then decide if you are eligible for public housing. If the authorities find that you are not qualified for public housing, they will state the reason. If you qualify, they add you to a waiting list. You need to be patient since it may take longer.
Step 6: Sign the Lease and Pay the Security Deposit
The authorities will inform you when the units are available. In most cases, it is not possible to choose the unit, and hence you might need to move to the one available. Before you can move in, you sign a lease with the authorities. The rent depends on your total income, while you are required to provide updated income information to the authorities. In some cases, you might need to pay a security deposit.