Affiliate marketing is one of the most popular ways to make money online these days. As you browse about this topic, you will find so many people with tips and guides about how it works. You will also see some ‘millionaires’ talking about how they have built their fortune as affiliates. While they all make it sound easy, the truth is that it is not. This article will explain to you how to make money with affiliate marketing.
Caveats About Making Money With Affiliate Marketing
Before we explain how you can get started, here are a few caveats that you need to know.
- Affiliate marketing is not a get rich quick scheme.
- It can take considerable time before you actually start making money with affiliate marketing.
- It can take a considerable amount of resources such as time or money to make money as an affiliate.
- Most people who get started in affiliate marketing fail. To succeed, the clue is persistance and creative intelligence.
This being said, here are the steps you need to follow to make money using affiliate marketing.
What is Affiliate Marketing
When marketing their products online, companies have a number of choices. First, they can use the traditional pay per click and click per impression methods. In these, they pay companies like Google, Twitter, and Facebook. Alternatively, they can partner with website owners and influencers to bring leads to them. These influencers can be paid a fixed amount or they can receive a cut for all the goods sold. This is the strategy known as affiliate marketing.
Build an Online Presence
The first thing you need to do is to build an online presence. There are two main ways you can do this.
- You can create your personal website where you will be sharing insights about the industry. In this, the goal is to create a large following. You can can either advertise your website through social media and or set up a SEO-strategy.
- You can also use social media platforms like Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and TikTok to become an influencer in your field. The reason for building this presence is that it is impossible to succeed as an online affiliate marketer if you don’t have a huge following.
Tips for Building a Quality Personal Affiliate Website
It is very difficult to succeed when building a quality personal affiliate website. To succeed, you need to ensure that the website is simple to navigate. As such, we recommend using common platforms like SquareSpace and WordPress. These platforms will ensure that your website is simple and responsive in nature.
The website also needs to be well-optimized for search engines. This is called SEO. A website that is well-optimized for the search engines is easy to find and will save you a lot of money in marketing. A good SEO strategy will also help you become an authority in the niche you are focusing on.
Good SEO is not only that search robots are able to index your content in a structured way, it also means that you know how to accomodate your audience. The guideline here is: know what your visitors are looking for and make sure they can find what they are looking for through you. When you serve your visitors well, your search rankings will improve because the algoritms take this user feedback into account.
Finally, while it is possible to make money while promoting technology products like smartphones, the chances of you succeeding are very rare. This is because these products already have credible influencers who market them on behalf of the companies. Instead, you could focus on small niches such as kitchen knives and hunting arrows. When you build your reputation on these niches, you will attract a small number of customers, who will spend more.
Tips on Becoming an Influencer
If you like technology stuff, you have likely watched YouTube videos of the likes of Linus Tech Tips, MKBHD, and Unbox Therapy. These YouTubers have millions of followers and make millions of dollars every year from YouTube revenue. They also partner with other organizations to promote their products. In fact, phone brands like OnePlus have grown at the back of these influencers. You too can become an influencer in your niche. To do this, follow the following tips:
- Create quality videos that add value to the viewers.
- Invest in excellent video and audio products.
- Be consistent. In this, ensure that you upload a video at least once per week.
- Remind your watchers to follow you.
- Ask other prominent YouTubers to feature your content.
After establishing yourself as a brand, to make money with affiliate marketing, you now need to find companies that spend money on affiliate marketing. A low hanging fruit is to use affiliate programs by companies like Amazon, Walmart, Nordstrom, and Macy’s among others.
There are many companies that offer these affiliate programs. And while large companies often manage their own affiliate programs, you can also find a lot of affiliate platforms. On these platforms you can find thousands of companies, both large and small. You are free to apply to any of the programs and promote those products.
Another way is to contact brands in your industry yourself. In this, you should find the sales manager of the companies you work with and pitch your blog or social media platform as their next marketing platform.
Affiliate marketing gives you an interesting opportunity for growing your business. It is one of the best methods for making passive income. However, as we explained, becoming a successful affiliate marketer is a journey. A journey that will take months and years to succeed. If you put enough effort in all this, you will be at a good position to make a lot of money in the long term.