If you are a US non resident, whether a student, worker, traveler or you are temporarily moving to the US, you can get a virtual US credit card for non-residents. It can be challenging to get a US virtual credit card for non residents even if you are a US citizen and you don’t have a credit history in the US. However, there are a few credit cards that can help you easily open a new credit card for non residents. For instance, you can get a virtual US credit card for non residents using your international credit history for some selected countries. Generally, this is how you can get a virtual US credit card for non residents.
What is a Virtual Credit Card?
A virtual credit card is a digital card that is stored in a smartphone and is mainly used online. You can use a virtual credit card to make online payments or in-person purchases. It secures your credit card information since you don’t have to provide retailers with your banking information.
Benefits of Using Virtual Credit Card
There are some benefits that come with using virtual cards. The following are some benefits people using virtual credit cards are enjoying.
- Fraud Protection. Virtual cards protect your identifiable information, unlike physical credit and debit cards that are linked to your main credit or debit card account.
- Spending controls. With virtual credit cards, you can set limits and choose merchants that you can pay using the virtual cards. This helps you limit spending by your employees.
- Subscription management. You can add or remove subscriptions through virtual cards. This way, you can easily know when a merchant overcharges you (Must Read: How to Track and Manage Subscriptions with Hiatus app).
- Convenience. Virtual cards are convenient compared to physical cards and allow users to make easy payments using their phones. You don’t need to search for a misplaced debit or credit card.
How to Get US Virtual Credit Card for Non Residents
It is challenging to get a virtual US credit card for non residents whether you are a citizen or a US non-citizen. The following are US virtual credit card providers that can help you get a credit card for non residents. You don’t need to get US credit card for non-residents because the virtual credit card can do almost everything that a normal credit card can do.
American Express Gold Card
American Express Gold Card is a US dollar virtual credit card for people who prefer to travel or dine frequently. The card comes with awards on your spending. You also get membership rewards points when you make purchases using the card. You can redeem the points through gift cards or cash back. You can also transfer your points and book travel or transfer them to a hotel or airline loyalty program.
American Express Gold Card Offers
Other features of the American Express Gold card include:
- 4X points on restaurants
- 3X points when you book a flight with American Express Travel
- 4 points for every dollar you spend at supermarkets for the first $25,000 you spend every year
How to Qualify for Express Gold Card
You need to meet the following requirements.
- Residents of Latin America, Caribbean, Spain and Switzerland.
- Minimum requirement of US$50,000 in assets in a US Financial Institution and be a Non US resident.
Express Gold Card Fees
- US$0 intro annual fee for the first year (this offer ends on December 31st, 2021) then US $300 annually.
- 2.7% for foreign transaction fees for each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
- Late payments fees and returned payment fees are both up to US$40.
The Platinum Card from American Express
The American Express Platinum Card is a virtual credit card for US non residents who frequently travel. It offers a wide variety of benefits to people who love to travel frequently. It has an annual fee of $695.
The Platinum Card Offers
Features of Platinum Card from American Express include:
- Does not charge foreign transaction fees
- 10X points for purchases at restaurants
- 5 membership reward points for every dollar you spend when you book a flight through the American Express Travel
- Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides and eats orders annually in the US
How to Qualify for The Platinum Card
You need to the following to qualify for the Platinum Card
- Minimum requirement an average of US$100,000 in assets in a US Financial Institution and be a Non US resident.
- Available only for Latin America, Caribbean (excluding Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands), Spain and Switzerland residents.
The Platinum Card Fees
- US$0 Intro annual fee for the first year, then US$795
- 2.7% for foreign transaction fees of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
- Late payment fees and returned payments fees is up to US$40.
Deserve Edu Mastercard for Students
Deserve Edu MasterCard is a virtual credit card for students. Although it is not a credit card for non residents, we have included it here because it helps international students get credit cards while in the US. You don’t need social security number or credit history to qualify for Deserve® Edu MasterCard. To qualify for the card, you need to link your bank account, and Deserve will analyze your financial history and determine if you qualify for the card.
Deserve Edu Mastercard Offers
Deserve Edu MasterCard offers the following:
- 1 percent cash back on all eligible purchases
- No transaction fees on purchases made outside the US or using non-US dollars
- Discounted renters insurance and free cell phone insurance
- Lifetime $59 reimbursement to cater for the annual cost of Amazon Prime Student
How to Qualify for Deserve Edu Mastercard
- No Social Security number or credit history required
- Available for international students enrolled in US colleges
Deserve Edu Mastercard Fees
- No annual fees
- Late payment fees up to $25
- Returned payment up to $37
Jasper Card, formerly CreditStacks is for young professionals without credit history and are relocating to the US. The card offers a credit limit of up to $5,000 and does not charge an annual fee. It also offers travel and mobile phone insurance. You get approved for the card 60 days before you can move to the US. You can apply for the card using your passport, visa information, and proof of employment in the US.
If you are relocating to the U.S. for work, one of the Jasper Cash Back Mastercard’s most exciting features is that we will process your application even before you start your new job in the US. If you are accepted, your Jasper Cash Back Mastercard can be waiting on your desk on day one.
Jasper Mastercard Offers
Jasper MasterCard offers the following:
- 1% cashback and 0.5% for a full year when you successfully refer a friend to Jasper.
- Jasper card has a low APR compared to many other cards for people who don’t have credit in the US.
For security reasons, Jasper will only ship your card to a verified work address within the U.S.
How to Qualify for Jasper Mastercard
- If you are new to the U.S., you can apply without an SSN and with little or no U.S. credit history. You will need to provide your passport, visa information and proof of U.S. employment.
- If you do not yet have your U.S. visa stamped in your passport during your application process, you can still apply by uploading your completed I-797 form.
Jasper Mastercard Fees
- No annual fees
- Cash Advance fee is either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- Returned payment and late payment fees up to $27.00.
Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
Blue Cash Preferred Card is offered by American Express and earns cashback when you make purchases using the card. The card is favorable for young adults and families. You can use the card for most of your family spending.
Bluce Cash Preferred Card Offers
Blue Cash Preferred Card offers the following:
- 20% cashback on Amazon.com for purchases made using the card for the first 6 months of card membership. Maximum of $200 back
- 6% cashback when you shop in supermarkets on up to $6,000 every year in supermarkets
- 3% cashback for using taxis, rideshare, buses, trains and fueling at US gas stations
- 1% on other purchases
- $150 when you spend $3,000 in purchases during the first 6 months of card membership.
Blue Cash Preferred Card Fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- 2.7% foreign transaction fee.
Summary on Virtual Credit Card for Non Residents
It is challenging to get a virtual credit card in the US even for residents. You need to have a credit history in the US to get a virtual US credit card. Some virtual credit card providers however allow people to use international credit history to qualify for virtual US credit cards for non residents. The above are some credit card providers that can help you get a virtual credit card for non residents in the US.