Belgian banks have started offering basic bank accounts to Ukrainian refugees. The basic account, known as basic banking services, lets Ukrainians in Belgium apply for a debit card and carry out banking activities such as cash deposits, cash withdrawals, money transfer, and setting up direct debits and standing orders.
Read this post in Ukrainian: Банківські рахунки для українських біженців у Бельгії
Bank Accounts for Ukrainian Refugees. The easiest solution are online banks, fintech and banking apps such as Wise, Revolut, bung, Monese and Incharge, which allow Ukrainians to open bank account online for free. These accounts can be used in Belgium as any other bank account in Belgium. They are easier to open and for free.
How to Open Basic Bank Account for Ukrainians in Belgium
If choosing for a local bank in Belgium, you need to choose the bank you want to open your account with. There are many banks in Belgium (see list of banks in Belgium below). As a rule, the bank will need your personal details including first and last name, date, and place of birth and place of residence. Your application must be made in writing on the application form provided by the bank of your choice. This can be done online as well.
You may prove your identity through an identity document that is issued by the Belgian authorities. You can apply for a certificate of temporary protection that will enable you to use the basic banking service. Documents you can use to apply for a bank account in Belgium include:
- Proof of registration in the Aliens’ Register (residence card A)
- A provisional residence permit or certificate of residence
- Proof of registration with the Immigration Department
To qualify for a certificate of temporary protection as in Belgium, you need to be:
- A Ukrainian national whose primary residence was in Ukraine before 24 February, 2022.
- A stateless persons, and a national of third countries other than Ukraine, whose primary residence was in Ukraine before 24 February, 2022.
You will not qualify for a basic banking service as a Ukrainian refugees if:
- You already have a basic banking service
- You already have another current account in the same bank or any other bank
- Your accounts have more than 6,000 euros. The money you have in accounts with other banks will also be considered
List of Banks in Belgium
There are over 140 domestic, international and online banks in Belgium. Top banks in Belgium to open your account include the following.
- Argenta Bank
- BNP Paribus Fortis
- ING Belgium
- Alon Bank
- KBC Bank
- AXA Bank
- VDK Bank
More Information About Bank Accounts for Ukrainian Refugees
We also provide information about free bank accounts for Ukrainians in the UK, Ukrainian refugees accounts in Latvia, bank account for Ukrainians in the Czech Republic and bank accounts for Ukrainian refugees in Poland.
- Revolut Account for Ukrainian Refugees in Europe
- bunq Account for Ukrainian Refugees in Europe
- Wise Account for Ukrainian Refugees in Europe
- Monese Account for Ukrainian Refugees in EEA and UK
- Moneta Bank: Free Account for Ukrainians in Czech Republic
- Bank Accounts for Ukrainian Refugees in Latvia