Many people holding Bitcoin and other crypto assets constantly look for ways they can spend their crypto assets. One of the ways you can use Bitcoin is by buying flight tickets with crypto.
If you don’t already have Bitcoin but want to buy some for your next trip, you can try out cryptocurrency exchanges such as Bittr, which allows you to buy Bitcoin with fiat currency via a SEPA bank transfer or buy Bitcoin using cryptofriendly banks such as Nuri, formerly Bitwala and Revolut.
Why Buy Plane Tickets with Bitcoin
- Security and privacy. Since bitcoin transactions are encrypted using blockchain technology, it makes it highly secure to buy flights with crypto. However, these transactions cannot be associated with a personal identity and therefore makes purchases anonymous.
- Convenient. If you are a bitcoin user, you can pay for goods and services from wherever you are so long as you have an internet connection using your smartphone. Therefore, you don’t need to have a card or a wallet. This makes it easy to book flights with cryptocurrency when you are away from home or if you have lost your card.
- No interruptions from third parties. The government and banks do not regulate bitcoin. Therefore, if you want to buy flight tickets with crypto, you will not have any interruptions.
- No spending limitations. While most conventional payments methods such as debit/credit card place spending limit, you can pay for flights with Bitcoin without such limitations.
- Save money. Bitcoin payments have very low fees when compared to credit and debit card purchases or bank transfers.
How to Buy Air tickets with Bitcoin
Once a passenger has looked for a flight and selected one that he or she wishes to use, one can choose to pay using Bitcoin in their crypto wallet. If you don’t have Bitcoin, you can then first buy bitcoin from an exchange. You should make sure you know the fees involved for your purchase before completing the transaction. Apart from paying in bitcoin using a crypto wallet, you can also pay using a bank account. Some banks have started offering crypto bank accounts to customers.
Besides, some airports have installed Bitcoin ATMs. Among them is the Miami International Airport, whose ATM was installed by Bitcoin firm Bitstop. Doug Carrillo, the Bitstop co-founder, stated that most people prefer to travel using Bitcoin since it is convenient and secure.
Buy flight tickets with UTRUST: UTRUST. With UTRUST, one can pay for a flight using different cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin. UTRUST has partnered with a Portuguese SL Benfica sports club to enable fans to buy tickets and air tickets for flights. The tickets can be purchased using UTRUST’S Native Token (UTK). Also, other digital wallets such as Skrill and Neteller can be used so long as they are loaded with cash, and can be in different currencies, bitcoin being among them. You can then go ahead to pay for the flight using either of the above alternatives.
Flights that Accept Bitcoin / Travel Agencies That Accept Bitcoin
You can buy flight tickets with crypto using the following companies.
- CheapAir, a California-based firm, is one of the airlines that accept bitcoin in the US. It started accepting Bitcoin payments in 2013 and became the first to introduce the service. You can purchase airline tickets with Bitcoin and other 10 altcoins to fly to any destination worldwide.
- Destinia is a Spanish travel agency that accepts bitcoin payments. You can buy airline tickets with bitcoin or book a hotel using bitcoin.
- Virgin Galactic allows space tourists to pay for flights to the Space using bitcoin.
- eGifter is an online shop that you can use to purchase gift cards with Bitcoin for airlines such as Delta, (DAL) American Airlines, (AAL) and Southwest Airlines (LUV).
- AirBaltic, an airline based in Latvia, is the first airline in the world to accept travelers to book flights with Bitcoin since 2014 for its flights to Baltic, Europe and Russia.
- Peach Aviation, Japanese air carrier, started accepting bitcoin payments for its discount flights across North Asia.
- Alternative Airlines is a website where you can search for flights from over 600 airlines and pay using Bitcoin. You can use Alternative Airlines from any country book flight with cryptp.
- TravelbyBit is an online travel booking platform built for the blockchain generation. The platform helps travelers and tourists move around the world using digital currencies like Bitcoin.
- Bitcoin.travel is a platform that you can use to buy flights with crypto from any country around the world.
Although there are many companies that wont allow you to buy plane tickets with crypto, the companies listed here will help you buy flight ticket with cryptocurrency.