Bitcoin is growing in popularity in Zambia. Buying cryptocurrency in Zambia is easy and straightforward. There are several trusted online cryptocurrency marketplaces in Zambia through which you can buy cryptos. Bitcoin is the main cryptocurrency on sell in the country. This article will show you how to buy cryptocurrency in Zambia.
Quick facts about cryptocurrency
- Cryptocurrency is a digital currency that can be used for buying goods and services. Many people around the world also prefer to use crypto investment as a long term investment.
- There are many cryptocurrencies, bitcoin and shitcoins. The most popular crypto is bitcoin, which is the one we recommend. Bitcoin is the original and the leading digital currency. It was created in January 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto. The true identity of Satoshi Nakamoto is not known.
- As of October 22, 2021, 1 bitcoin equals 1,079,537.56 Zambian Kwacha. While Kwacha can be divided into 100 ngwee, the smallest unit of bitcoin, called Satoshi, is one hundred millionth of a single bitcoin (0.00000001 BTC)
- Is cryptocurrency legal in Zambia? Cryptocurrencies in Zambia are not regulated because the Bank of Zambia does not consider cryptocurrency legal tender. This means activities related to the buying, trading or usage of cryptocurrencies are done at owner’s risk.
Cryptocurrency scams are on the rise all over the world including Zambia. Don’t entertain social media messages or emails asking you to “join bitcoin” and get rich instantly. Beware of individuals or companies that promise huge returns on crypto investment. Learn more about cryptocurrency scams and how to avoid them.
- 1 What You Need Before You Buy Bitcoin in Zambia
- 2 How to Buy Bitcoin in Zambia
- 3 How to Create a Bitcoin Account in Zambia
- 4 Deposit Your Fiat Currency and Buy Crypto
- 5 Store Your Purchased Cryptocurrency in a Crypto Wallet
- 6 What Can I Do With Cryptocurrency in Zambia?
- 7 Final Thoughts on How to Buy Cryptocurrency in Zambia
What You Need Before You Buy Bitcoin in Zambia
Before you can buy crypto in Zambia, you need the following.
- A cryptocurrency exchange in Zambia. A crypto exchange is a platform that allows its users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. It is a cryptocurrency marketplace (or a cryptocurrency “shop”). A cryptocurrency exchange can be a local one or a global one with multi-currency support.
- Payment method. Your payment method will depend on the cryptocurrency exchange’s supported payment method. It can be mobile money such as Airtel Money and MTN Money, debit card, credit card, bank transfer, money transfer services such as Western Union, Wise (formerly TransferWise), etc.
- Crypto wallet. Cryptocurrencies are not physical currencies. Therefore, you need a secure cryptocurrency wallet to store your cryptos. Crypto wallets are of different types: mobile, web, desktop and hardware. Best cryptocurrency wallets in Zambia include software cryptocurrency wallets such as Samourai or a hardware wallet such as Trezor and Ledger. All these are best bitcoin wallets for Zambia.
Your bitcoin wallet is protected by “private keys” (a form of password). You are advised to store your cryptocurrency in a wallet that you have the private keys for (non custodial wallet). Cryptocurrency exchanges, such as the ones listed below, may have their own wallet where you can store your bitcoin but you don’t have the full control. And as it is said in the crypto community, “Not your keys, not your coins.”
How to Buy Bitcoin in Zambia
Choose a Cryptocurrency Exchange
To buy cryptocurrencies in Zambia, you first need a cryptocurrency exchange. There are several reliable cryptocurrency exchanges in Zambia where you can buy crypto. Things to consider when choosing a crypto exchange in Zambia include transaction fees, delivery times, geographical availability, and payment methods. Once you select the exchange you want to use, you will be able to find out how to create a bitcoin account in Zambia from the exchange’s website.
Examples of crypto exchanges where you can create a bitcoin account in Zambia include the following.
Yellow Card Zambia
Yellow Card is a fast and secure platform to buy cryptocurrency in Zambia. Its ease of use makes it ideal for non-tech savvy individuals and newbies in the crypto trade space. It is also the only crypto exchange with a physical presence in Zambia. The supported payment methods are bank transfers, cash, mobile money such as Airtel Money and MTN Money, and SPENN. One notable feature is the ability to withdraw/convert your Bitcoin in Kwacha via mobile money or bank account. However, this option can only be done manually by Yellow Card stuff. The company intends to automate instant mobile money withdraw option soon.
Yellow Card offers a custodial crypto wallet (your bitcoin is kept in their wallet), meaning the private keys to your wallet are held by them and therefore they have full control of your funds. We strongly advise you to send your Bitcoin to your non custodial crypto wallet (the one you hold the private keys) immediately after buying crypto on the exchange. Find out more about the difference between custodial and non custodial crypto wallets.
What is SPENN? SPENN is a free mobile money and banking app in Zambia. SPENN does not allow you to buy crypto directly, instead the app is integrated with Yellow Card to allow you to buy cryptocurrency on Yellow Card using your SPENN balance. However, you will need to download SPENN app and create a SPENN account in Zambia.
LocalBitcoins is a peer to peer crypto exchange that specializes in connecting buyers and sellers. It allows you to list your own buy/sell advertisements. You can buy cryptocurrency on LocalBitcoins using payment methods such as MTN Money, Airtel Money, bank transfers (FNB, ZANACO, ABSA, etc), cash, Mukuru, PayPal, Western Union, etc.
Coinbase is one of the well known cryptocurrency exchanges in the world. It offers crypto services in over 100 countries including Zambia. You can buy crypto in Zambia using Coinbase website or Coinbase app. The exchange has got its crypto wallet. However, you are advised to store your bitcoin in your own personal wallet. The platform has a feature that allows you to make a recurring purchase by selecting how often you would like the purchase to repeat.
We do not advise you to use Coinbase because of many issues such as transparency, privacy, and security. In addition, Coinbase is known for pushing and listing high-risk shitcoins.
Send, Deposit, Exchange, and Buy Bitcoin with Telegram Online in Zambia
- It is now possible to buy cryptocurrency in Zambia, receive, exchange and send to other wallets for free using the instant messaging app, Telegram. At the moment, you can only buy with a bank card.
- To use the feature, open the Telegram messenger and search for “wallet”. Open the Telegram’s official wallet bot, click “/start” and select the options showing depending on whether you want to buy, send, receive or deposit cryptocurrency. You should also add it to the menu (for easy access).
Paxful is a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency trading platform that supports more than 300 payment methods. These include MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Mobile Money, bank transfers (all banks in Zambia), Moneygram, PayPal, cash payments, gift cards, online wallets, debit/credit cards, and even altcoins such as Ethereum.
Pursa is one of the best crypto exchanges in Zambia you can use to buy bitcoin instantly with Airtel Money, MTN Money, MasterCard or VISA. With Pursa affiliate program, you can earn up to 20% of Pursa’s fees when you refer people to Pursa.
Coinmama is another leading cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to buy and sell crypto instantly. Coinmama has high purchasing limits and you can use a credit/debit card (as long as it’s a Visa or MasterCard) or bank transfer to buy on this platform. However, the platform charges high fees when purchasing with a credit or debit card and it does not support mobile money.
Coinmama rate is displayed in USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD and JPY, but the exchange accepts all currencies. If you pay with another currency different from the ones displayed, your bank may charge an exchange fee.
CEX.IO is a user-friendly crypto exchange that is supported worldwide. It allows you to buy bitcoin with multiple payment options like debit or credit cards, SWIFT, SEPA, ACH, etc. The downside to this excellent platform is that its verification procedure requires private information and it takes a long time.
Just like Yellow Card, CEX.IO allows you to convert your bitcoin into kwacha and withdraw the money through your bank account. This is a very important feature to consider when choosing a cryptocurrency exchange in Zambia.
Changelly is an instant crypto exchange in Zambia. Changelly has a limited number of payment methods. You can only buy crypto from Zambia with a bank card (VISA or MasterCard) and Apple Pay. Moreoever, the exchange does not support Zambian kwacha, you can buy crypto with USD only. Fortunately, we have an article that shows you how to open a US dollar account in Zambia. Alternatively, you can open a US virtual bank account with Payoneer. The platform offers the best live rates on the market and low fees.
Is there any Bitcoin ATM in Zambia? No, as of July 2021, there are no Bitcoin ATMs in Zambia. However, there are 18 Bitcoin ATMs in Africa including neighboring countries such as Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa.
Kraken is one of the best Bitcoin exchanges globally offering a wide selection of cryptocurrencies. Unfortunately, using Kraken is not as straightforward as other exchanges. Kraken doesn’t support payment with third party payment processors such as mobile money. The platform only supports VISA and MasterCard payment methods in Zambia.
However, to able to make card purchases, the following conditions must be met:
- Your Kraken account must be verified to the Intermediate or Pro level.
- You must hold a valid Visa or Mastercard in the same legal name as your Kraken account.
- Your debit or credit card needs to support 3D Secure version 1 (3DSv1).
SpectroCoin is a cryptocurrency exchange that enables people to buy Bitcoin in Zambia. The exchange supports a number of payment methods such as debit and credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and Maestro), international bank transfer, voucher, Skrill, etc.
When you sign up for SpectroCoin account, you will have a multicurrency account with IBAN, which allows you to receive, save and make payments in USD, Euro, GBP and cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin. You can convert fiat currency to Bitcoin and vice versa. In addition, you can use your cryptocurrency to obtain a crypto backed loan or buy internet bundles from MTN, Airtel, Zamtel or Liquid Telecom.
How to Create a Bitcoin Account in Zambia
Upon finding your preferred cryptocurrency exchange in Zambia, you will need to register for an account with your exchange of choice. Here, you will go through the platform’s Know Your Customer (KYC) process for verification. The process varies depending on the cryptocurrency exchange you have choosen.
Deposit Your Fiat Currency and Buy Crypto
When your account has been verified after going through the KYC process, choose cryptocurrency seller in Zambia with the best price and who accepts the payment method of your choice. Make sure you choose a seller whose has been verified and has a trust score of 100% or thereabout. Once you are satisfied with the seller’s reputation, price and payment method, you are free to buy bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency.
Store Your Purchased Cryptocurrency in a Crypto Wallet
After buying your crypto, it will be sent to the address of your cryptocurrency wallet. Each wallet has its own digital address. It is not advisable to leave your crypto funds on an exchange. As such, you will need to find the best bitcoin and cryptocurrency wallets such as Samourai, Muun and Exodus to store your crypto funds.
What Can I Do With Cryptocurrency in Zambia?
The most common questions people ask are, “What do I do with my bitcoin after buying?,” “How do I withdraw bitcoin from Zambia?,” or “How do I cash out bitcoin in Zambia?” There are many options for this. Some of them are:
- Hodl. You can keep your bitcoin. Bitcoin is considered a store of value. This means you can hold onto your bitcoin (a practice commonly known as Hodl in the cryptocurrency community) and sell when the price goes up.
- Collateral for fiat money loans. You can obtain a crypto backed loan by using your bitcoin as collateral. There are bitcoin loan platforms such as CoinLoan that you give out loans while keeping your bitcoin as collateral. Alternatively, you can use peer to peer bitcoin lending platforms where you lend your bitcoin to borrowers and earn interest.
- Crypto trading. Cryptocurrency trading is a growing investment field. Basically, you buy bitcoin when the price is low and sell for fiat money when the price goes up.
- Bitcoin investing. You can also invest in bitcoin using Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA) method, where you buy a fixed amount every week or month (Further reading: How to Use DCA to Build Investment Portfolio and Best DCA Bitcoin Exchanges).
Final Thoughts on How to Buy Cryptocurrency in Zambia
Now you know how to create a bitcoin account in Zambia, best bitcoin wallets in Zambia, how to buy bitcoin in Zambia, whether bitcoin is legal in Zambia, etc. Buying cryptocurrency in Zambia will be easy for you as there are several cryptocurrency exchanges in Zambia you can use to buy cryptos using mobile money, cash, local bank transfers, credit/debit card, and even foreign currency account in Zambia. We advise you to only buy bitcoin and not altcoins. However, beware of cryptocurrency scams online so you don’t lose your hard earned Kwacha.