Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies keeps growing in popularity and usage since it was first introduced globally in 2009. In this article, we will show you how to safely buy bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in Ethiopia.
Read about cryptocurrency in Ethiopia in Amharic
Is Bitcoin legal in Ethiopia? Bitcoin is not recognized as legal tender by the Ethiopian government and the central bank does not regulate Bitcoin transactions. However, you can buy, sell, and hold cryptocurrency in Ethiopia.
Quick facts about cryptocurrency
- Cryptocurrency is a digital currency that can be used for buying goods and services as well as investment.
- There are many cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin is the most popular, followed by numerous altcoins. Bitcoin is the only cryptocurrency we can recommend.
- As of January 10, 2023, 1 bitcoin equals 932.187,22 ETB. While the Ethiopian Birr can be subdivided into 100 cents, the smallest unit of Bitcoin, called Satoshi, is one hundred millionth of a single Bitcoin (0.00000001 BTC).
What You Need Before You Buy Cryptocurrency in Ethiopia
Before you can buy crypto in Ethiopia, you need the following.
- A cryptocurrency exchange in Ethiopia: A crypto exchange is a platform that allows you to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. It is a cryptocurrency marketplace (or a cryptocurrency “shop”). A cryptocurrency exchange can be a local one or a global one with multi-currency support.
- Payment method: Your payment method will depend on the cryptocurrency exchange’s supported payment method. It can be mobile money, debit card, credit card, bank transfer, money transfer services such as Western Union, Wise (formerly TransferWise), etc.
- Crypto wallet: Cryptocurrencies are not physical currencies. Therefore, you need a secure bitcoin wallet in Ethiopia to store your cryptos. Bitcoin wallets are of different types: mobile, web, desktop, and hardware. Best Bitcoin wallets for Ethiopia include wallets such as Samourai or a hardware wallet such as Trezor and Ledger. All these are the best bitcoin wallets for Ethiopia.
How to Use Cryptocurrency in Ethiopia
Though I first heard about Bitcoin in 2015, I was hesitant. I understood the necessity of it after I traveled to some countries, where ATMs can give you conventional currencies for Bitcoin. After I first bought Bitcoin, many things changed. Now I can buy from Amazon. I pay in Bitcoin, then Fedex or DHL can deliver to me. I can import a Toyota Vitz for between ETB340,000 to ETB345,000 and rent it for ETB300 a day. However, I earn ETB400 to ETB460 profit a day from Bitcoin. – says Shiferaw Tamirat, a car importer based in Addis Ababa.
How to Create Bitcoin Account in Ethiopia
In order to buy cryptocurrency in Ethiopia, you need to choose a Bitcoin exchange, such as the ones we have listed below, and create an account on the exchange. Most exchanges will require you to verify your identity (KYC) before you can start trading. However, there are non-KYC exchanges such as Hodl Hodl, Bisq, and RoboSats.
Once you have a wallet and selected an exchange, you can use several payment methods to deposit funds into your account for the Bitcoin you wish to buy. Supported payment methods depend on the exchange you are going to use.
Cryptocurrency Exchange in Ethiopia
SpectroCoin is a cryptocurrency exchange and Bitcoin wallet. You can buy over 50 cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin on the platform. Supported payment methods for buying cryptocurrency on SpectroCoin in Ethiopia include Visa and MasterCard.
What’s very interesting about SpectroCoin is that you can get a European non resident account with European with IBAN. Moreover, you are able to use your cryptocurrency to obtain a crypto backed loan.
How to Buy Cryptocurrencies from SpectroCoin in Ethiopia
Buying cryptos on SpectroCoin platform is simple and straightforward:
- Create an account by filling the registration form.
- After completing the registration, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Once your account is verified, you can deposit crypto or fiat currency by choosing the most convenient option from the deposit section of your account. The funds will appear in your SpectroCoin wallet instantly.
- To buy Bitcoin, open the “Exchange” section of your account, enter the amount you would like to buy and follow the steps.
Send, Deposit, Exchange, and Buy Bitcoin with Telegram Online in Ethiopia
- It is now possible to buy cryptocurrency in Ethiopia, receive, exchange and send to other wallets for free using a Telegram bot. At the moment, you can only buy with a bank card.
- To use the feature, you need to create a wallet. You can do this by sending the bot a message with the command /start. The bot will then send you a link to create a wallet. Once you have created a wallet, you can send and receive cryptocurrencies. You should also add it to the menu (for easy access).
Localbitcoins Ethiopia: LocalBitcoins discontinued its service on February 9, 2023. For the next 12 months, existing LocalBitcoins customers will only be able to log in to withdraw their bitcoin.
Pursa Exchange Ethiopia
Pursa is one of the best exchanges to buy Bitcoin instantly in Ethiopia with a bank transfer and debit or credit card. Pursa allows you to transact without depositing money on the platform. To buy on the plaform you need to first deposit money using WorldRemit, Western Union, MoneyGram, bank transfer and debit/credit card.
How to Buy Cryptos from Pursa Exchange Ethiopia
- Enter your email address. You will receive a confirmation code in your email.
- After verifying your email, you need to fill out your personal profile and choose default currency.
- Set up a 6 digit pin code on your account, which will take you to Pursa dashboard.
- Click on “buy Bitcoin” and select payment method, enter your ETB amount, you will be shown Bitcoin value.
- Enter your Bitcoin wallet address and buy instantly from the funds you deposited.
LocalCryptos is a peer to peer cryptocurrency exchange that enables you to buy acrypto using non-custodial wallets and a non-custodial escrow system. As a a non-custodial peer-to-peer marketplace, LocalCryptos does not hold the keys to your crypto.
When you buy cryptos from LocalCryptos, you will exchange directly with another person. This means the payment method will be discussed by the two of you. Supported cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash and Bitcoin Cash.
How to Buy Crypto from LocalCryptos Ethiopia
- You need to create your account for free
- Once your account is confirmed, find a seller who suits you or publish your own ad. You can filter offers by payment method, currency, price, location, and more.
- When you find a seller you are happy with, choose the amount you want to buy, then lock in an exchange rate.
- The other party will receive a notification and you’ll typically hear back immediately.
- After the seller puts the crypto in an escrow account, you pay the seller outside the platform. A decentralized escrow account holds the crypto in trust until it’s paid for. This ensures both sides hold up their end of the deal.
- Once the seller confirms payment, crypto is released from escrow to your crypto wallet.
CEX.IO is a user-friendly crypto exchange that supports Ethiopians who want to buy or sell bitcoin. It allows you to buy bitcoin with multiple payment options like bank transfer, debit or credit cards, and mobile wallets such as Skrill. The downside to this excellent platform is that its verification procedure requires private information and the verification process may take longer than other platforms.
CEX.IO allows you to convert your bitcoin into local currency and withdraw the money through your bank account.
Price of Bitcoin in Ethiopia
You may wonder what determines the price of Bitcoin; many factors affect their prices. The main one is demand and supply. When demand increases, the price increases as well and when demand falls, the price falls. Other factors include momentum caused by growing interest, regulations of Bitcoin in a country and also Bitcoin price predictions by analysts.
Before buying crypto in Ethiopia, make sure you have familiarised yourself with the fee structure of the cryptocurrency exchange you intend to use.
Cryptocurrency scams are on the rise all over the world including Ethiopia. Don’t entertain social media messages or emails asking you to “join Bitcoin” and get rich instantly. Beware of individuals or companies that promise huge returns on crypto investment. Learn more about cryptocurrency scams and how to avoid them.
Final Thoughts on Cryptocurrency in Ethiopia
Cryptocurrency trading in Ethiopia is not regulated by the government, therefore traders must be extra careful to prevent themselves from possible crypto scams. Nevertheless, people are making billions from the Bitcoin trading and Bitcoin investment and therefore, you too can be one of them. All you need is due diligence while making any transactions.